Friday, April 2, 2010

Minimize Mess and Mayhem, Maximize MMMMM

Brucie and the original Hillbilly Grill

My least favorite mess- ok, I certainly don't have a most favorite mess, but- is sticky pancake syrup. Whenever I make pancakes or waffles, the stuff is everywhere. counter, table, chairs, kids... icky icky sticky. SOO, I had a brilliant idea yesterday.

All in one syrup and butter for pancakes!

It goes like this...

In a bowl, add 1 cup of softened butter or marjarine, and 1/4 cup of your favorite syrup. Mix thoroughly, transfer to container with lid and stick it in the fridge til you need it again.

- um getting a little sidetracked here- Eva Longoria-Parker is on Sesame Street this morning, teaching Elmo what the word "exquisite" means. Evidently it means "very beautiful and very special". But she said it so many times that the word stopped making any sense, and now it's ruined. Exquisite, exquisite, exquisite, exquisite...

Another of my favorite ways to save time and mess is "pre marinating"meat. Works with anything you intend to freeze. You can buy stuff in the store like that, but I'm always paranoid about the quality of the meat they use. It's easy to "disguise" undesirable looking meat with a coating of marinade. So since that's not my aim, I'd rather use good stuff with my own favorite sauces.

So, using your favorite sauce store bought or using one of my ideas, all you do is add about 1/4 cup of sauce to a meduim size freezer bag and 4-6 servings of meat (chicken, steak, chops whatever). Seal the bag securely, and without extra air, mush the meat and sauce around in the bag to coat the meat, and toss it in the freezer. It marinates for you while it thaws!

Chikin Sauce

Blob honey
Blob garlic
2 Splooshes soy sauce
Blob plum sauce
salt, pepper

Steak Sauce

Blob ketchup
Blob brown sugar
2 splooshes Worc. sauce
Sploosh soy sauce
salt, pepper


Well, they've got a catchy counting song on Sesame Street and I'm losing focus. That's all for now folks!

No comments: