Thursday, March 25, 2010

Food on the brain


There are some particular foods and dishes I've been thinking about since we've moved in here... mostly things I can't cook for lack of appliances, staple ingredients, or tools...


First on that list is probably eggs. Not only am I not supposed to eat eggs (the bloody cholesterol thing), but there is nothing NASTIER than microwaved eggs. No cooktop = no eggs.


Next is grilled cheese. The boys love grilled cheese. I've been making do by toasting the bread first then adding the cheese and sticking it in the nuker, but it's just not the same.


Then there's bread. I would love to whip up a batch of bread, but I can't find my bread pans, and I don't have any flour or yeast anyway.


Ah, and yogurt! Mom got me a yogurt maker! I need the cooktop to scald the milk to make the yogurt! I want homemade yogurt!


Lastly, one of my favorite make-for-me dishes is fried polenta with eggplant, zuccini and cheese... it's sooo good. That is probably going to be one of the first things I make when we get the cooktop put together!


Nothing can do more for one's appreciation for food than being stuck without a way to make it.

No comments: