Monday, March 29, 2010

I know you're not here for the scenery

My new, working gas cooktop... beeeeeutiful!

I made a pretty good dinner last night... My gas cooktop is finally up and running, which means I can give my microwave a break, and make stuff like scrambled eggs, grilled cheese, and rice! YAY for rice!

Sunday dinner was roast beef with baby potatos, acorn squash and gravy.

I'm sorry I didn't take any pictures.

Prepare your roast by sticking it in a pan with some garlic and chopped onions. If you're with it enough to have actual beef broth (which I am not) pour about 2 cups of that in with some worcestershire sauce and soy sauce- or mix 2 tbsp of beef oxo in a cup and add that. Stick it in the oven with a lid on at 350 for 25 minutes per lb... you'll need to take the lid off for the last 20 minutes... steamed meat is gross... but if you leave the lid off for the whole cooking time, you will have jerky.

Prepare potatos by cutting into a big pot, cover with salted water
Prepare squash by cutting in half and placing cut side down in a pan with about 2-3 inches of salted water... don't ask me what's with all the salt, I'm just doing it because I've always done it that way!

About 20 minutes before the meat is done, turn on the potatos and squash and cook at medium heat until they're soft.

Remove roast from oven and let it sit for 10 minutes.
Mash or don't mash the potatos
Use a spoon to remove the seeds from the squash, then dig the flesh out and put it in a bowl with a big glob of butter and a big spoonful of brown sugar and mash it all together in a bowl.

Prepare gravy according to package instructions- use the water from the potatos and the squash- it's got hidden goood-for-you in it!
OR take the drippings and broth from the bottom of the roast pan, add the veggie water and get it simmering on the stove. Add 4 heaping tsp of corn starch to a cup and make a gloop with COLD water. When the gravy base is simmering slowly pour the cornstarch gloop in while stirring constantly until a gravy like consistency is reached. Don't use too much cornstarch or you will have meat flavored jelly... Don't use warm water to mix the corn starch, or you will make a mug full of crap... DO pour slowly into the pan and stir well or you will get lumpy gravy!

Serve to your picky family and act like you busted your ass to make this!

I'm looking forward to having a "special guest" cook in the house soon. My buddy Fraser LOVES to cook and has been lusting after my kitchen since he helped me move in... Keep your eyes peeled for his appearance!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Sounds yummy - after all these years I found something I wasn't sure about.....of course you have a benefit - alberta beef..